Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Frosting Fruit still life oil painting Hoeptner

Frosting Fruit  Oil on wood  6" x 6"  SOLD
Click image to enlarge.  Diane@DianeHoeptner.com

Wayne Thiebaud, Untitled, 1997

One of my all time favorite artists is Wayne Thiebaud (pronounced tea-bow.)  I love his cake and candy paintings.  His current work includes colorful landscapes as viewed from the sky.  People frequently refer to his paint application as frosting like...  Today's painting reminded me of why I like his art so much.  There is a certain joy when the color says what you want--exactly like how you wanted to say it!  It is sweet indeed.  I feel it in my own work every once in a while (today for sure) and I can only imagine Wayne sees and feels it all the time. 

14 comments:

  1. love it ..your color amazing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this painting is gorgeous. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colors. Love the highlight and the core shadow on the orange! Wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's luscious, Diane. I think Thiebaud would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one Diane. You have captured the "frosting" look perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, full colors, so alive and festive:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all been said! I agree that this is gorgeous! Beautiful, rich colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say? This painting makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your colors are gorgeous and your flowers and fruit have such solidity as well. I feel as though I could reach in, pick a grape and eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely, Diane! Am I not supposed to giggle about the very creative "large" titles to small paintings? I do suspect you have a super sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! The paint inside the bowl looks like butter-cream frosting! And the values on the orange are just perfect. A lovely painting.

    And thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I really appreciate that you took the time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even the stripes are yummy! Thiebaud's one of my favs, too.

    ReplyDelete

Diane Hoeptner Art Blog: Oh yay! A comment from YOU!!