Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sleepy Cat Beau and Chessie, cat mascot for Railway

Beau  Oil on wood, 8" x 8,"  SOLD
Railroad mascot
Chessie by Guido Gruenwald
Beau's outreached, sleepy stretchy paw simply HAD to be painted...  
His pose kinda reminds me of Chessie, the cat who represented the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in the 30's and 40's.  Chessie was on everything from calendars to coffee mugs.  Back in the day when I sold antiques on Ebay, I always had my eyes peeled for Chessie memorabilia--which was highly collectible at the time.

5 comments:

  1. OMG my son loves Chessie. I love your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chessie was my first thought as the photo of your adorable painting unrolled on my screen. I have a large picture book from my childhood about Chessie taking a train ride. I always loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I love Chessie! never knew about him before, but how adorable to have a cute kitten as a mascot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I never knew about Chessie! I learned something new today yea! This outstretched paw is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a wonderful streeeeeetch! So expressive with those watchful eyes!! (and yes, another Chessie fan here! )

    ReplyDelete

Diane Hoeptner Art Blog: Oh yay! A comment from YOU!!